The history of Fuglsang Kunstmuseum
A decision is made to form an art collection in connection with the founding of the Maribo Museum (today the Lolland-Falster Museum) at the initiative of the brewer Carl Jacobsen (1842-1914) among others.
The museum in Maribo opens to the public. The art collection consists of plaster casts and borrowed paintings. In the following decades, these are supplemented with the museum's own acquisitions and donations of art from 1902 on from the New Carlsberg Foundation among others.
Plans are made for an annexe to the museum in Maribo to house the growing art collection.
The annexe is realized after drawings by the architect Einar Ørnsholt (1887-1978).
The art collection is spread out under the name Lolland-Falster Museum of Art and there is a new focus on art on paper.
The Graphics Hall is inaugurated on the model of the Royal Collection of Prints and Drawings (Statens Museum for Kunst/The National Gallery of Denmark). The furnishings are designed by the furniture designer Rigmor Andersen (1903-1995)
The museum engages its first director with training in art history. A new focus on contemporary art.
The museum receives Head of Department Erik C. Mengel's (1908-1983) art bequest of 166 artworks from c. 1930-1960.
The museum changes its name to the Storstrøm Museum of Art. Fewer but larger art acquisitions.
Realdania, Storstrøm County, the EU's Objective 2 funding and the municipalities on Lolland and Falster pledge support to the construction of a new art museum at Fuglsang Manor.
The international architectural competition is won by the English architect Tony Fretton (b. 1945).
The construction of the new museum building begins.
The construction is completed and the museum changes its name to Fuglsang Kunstmuseum (Fuglsang Art Museum).
The Fuglsang Art Museum opens to the public.