The Traction Engine from Knuthenborg
The museum's traction engine was made in 1919 by the British
agricultural machinery maker Ransomes, Sims & Jefferies in
Ipswich. This type of traction engine was a portable steam engine,
which was used to pull other machinery, e.g. a threshing machine or
a firewood splitter.
When the traction engine was needed, it would be drawn to the
site by horses. Here, it would be connected to the machine that the
traction engine was to run. The stoker would then fire up under the
steam engine's boiler. After about an hour, the steam would be up,
and the steam engine would be ready for the day's work. For
security reasons, only special stokers were allowed to operate the
steam engine. The stoker would often be popular with the children.
Once the boiler got going, he would be happy to toast the apples
that the children brought along on the steam engine.
The museum's steam engine was bought by the Knuthenborg estate
around 1920, and over the following approx. 25 years, it was used
in the estate's operation. The use of steam power in estate
operations was not something new at Knuthenborg. Back in 1870,
Count Eggert Christopher Knuth was among the first to use steam
power in Danish agricultrue when he bought a steam engine for steam
The traction engine from the Knuthenborg estate
was restored by 'The Friends of the Traction Engine'.