The Woodland Pavilion
The Woodland Pavilion, which is situated a stone's throw away from the fenced in area of the Open-Air Museum, was erected in 1853 as a place for public entertainment.for the middle classes. One could play skittles, have a drink, there was dancing for the young, fireworks and even balloon rides. But these amusements stopped in 1867 when Councillor Meincke, who had built Skovnæs Farm a few years earlier, bought the Woodland Pavilion. Meincke had other plans for the pavilion and converted it shortly afterwards into a dairy to process the milk from the farm's 80 cows. The place functioned as a dairy until 1894 when the farm was sold. After the sale, the pavilion was converted to housing for the farm's seasonal workers - Swedish and Polish women who worked in the sugar beet fields. The building was taken over by The Danish Sugar Factories in 1898 and in 1911 it became the property of the municipality.
The Wall Street crash in 1929 and the following world financial crisis put an end to the influx of foreign seasonal workers and the building was converted to a storehouse for grain. The pavilion was donated to the museum in 1960, but is still standing in its original position, at the edge of the woods, looking out over the lake.
A group which has sprung from the Museum Society for Museum Lolland-Falster has been arranging historical café events in the Woodland Pavilion during the season. For instance, cakes from original recipes of the 18th and 19th centuries are served here. Sometimes the waitresses will be wearing typical costumes from the period.
Here you can see from the events calendar when the next historical café day will take place in the Woodland Pavilion.